Your microwave isn’t spying on you but your printer could be
So this week, Kelly Anne Conway, Counselor to the President of the United States made a comment about a microwave being able to spy on you.
Not many homes I know have the microwave hooked up to the Internet so the entire idea of it happening is a bit ridiculous.
However, did you know that your printer could be an open gateway to your network?
Printers are safe, right?
Most people don’t even think twice about a printer.
- Network printer, perfect! Everyone can print.
- Wireless printer? Even better!
- Over the air printing from my phone or tablet? Wonderful.
All of these options leave your network and data vulnerable to hackers. Known cases include hacking in to the printer from handheld devices watching all of the data from your print queue. They don’t even need to be in the same building as your printer.
Sensitive documents? No more.
Paper copy is the only copy? Nope.
Concerned? We are and we think you should be too and get ahead of the game. We are working with National Resource and Management to help secure and your devices beyond your firewall and computers.
Keeping your data safe
How should you keep your printer and network safe? It is similar to computer safety and maintenance:
- Verify the security of your firewall and router. Updates are a must.
- Secure the wireless connectivity to each device.
- Install malware and virus protection on all devices. Yes, even printers need malware protection.
- Create difficult to hack passwords on all network accessible devices instead of using the default passwords.
- Confirm the version and security of your firmware on all devices. Printers have hard drives and computers inside, so they need updating too.
Secure your computing environment NOW.
If this seems like too much to handle, SMB Advantage Group and National Resource and Management have teamed up to offer a full inspection of your network and printing devices. Once the assessment is complete, you will know how secure your network is and if necessary, what steps need to be taken to keep them secure. Peace of mind for a locked down and usable environment. You will sleep better at night, we promise.
Fill out the form below to make your appointment or give us a call at 630-516-1207.